Monday, September 19, 2011

Just another diabetic blog

It's been almost a month since my husband was accidentally diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  He was hospitalized for some other reason, and it was lucky his blood sugar was checked, too.  Yes, it may be the pits, but at least, we know about it, and thus could act on it. 

My father was a type 1 diabetic and I've heard of diabetes all my life.  My father's sickness was discovered when he was in his mid-twenties, and that time, I wasn't conceived yet, hahaha.  Anyway, I've heard enough about it not to be considered ignorant per se, but since my husband got the disease, I realized there isn't much I've known about diabetes.

I remember my father watched his diet and took medications, and he exercised now and then, however, he wasn't really that monitored and he didn't see his doctor that frequently.  His blood sugar wasn't under normal levels, but I thought it was because he was sick.  It's only now that I knew that my father's condition wasn't ideal because his blood sugar wasn't controlled.  I read that if one is diabetic, his blood sugar should be under normal levels if he has watched his diet, exercised and took his medications.  He died of liver cirrhosis even if he wasn't a drinker, because it's the organ his diabetes destroyed in the end.

Anyway, for my husband, his highest random blood sugar when he as first diagnosed was around 290.  He was even on insulin at first, while he was still in the hospital.  Little by little, after two weeks, it gone lower to 160s then to 140s.  Today, his random blood sugar is 85.

Taking care of my husband, I have a few regrets and questions.  Why I didn't act this way during my father's time, why we didn't monitor his sugar that vigilantly, why all of us regarded the disease as common and harmless as cough, when it was actually life threatening.  A lot of things I would have wanted to do, if I had known then. 

In this maiden post, I want to make special mention to my father, whom we somehow failed to take care because we lacked the knowledge which would have prompted us to do otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment